Check-in

Check-out

Adults

Children

Prenota

Beautiful Monza

History

The first settlements of Monza, belonging to a Celtic tribe, were built along the banks of the River Lambro. Romanized in the 50s BC, Monza became, for its geographical location, a Roman vicus populated by people dedicated to sheep farming and fishing. At Monza was built in this period the most bridge in Lombardy, it is the Bridge Arena that was 70 meters long and 4 wide, made up of seven arches made of brick and stone gneiss, today replaced with the Bridge of Lions. The Lombard queen Teodolinda, made of Monza the political, cultural and religious history even more important than Lombardia.
 Under the reign of the Franks Monza continued to develop and progress and, with the advent of Berengar I, the first Emperor to be crowned with the famous Iron Crown, became "East Sedes Italiae Modoetia Kingdoms". During the municipal Monza was the favorite city of Barbarossa and, thanks to the ecclesiastical power and cost of the humble, a religious organization dedicated to the building of churches and monasteries where we developed the mechanical arts, became an important center craftsman, the most important in Lombardy, for the processing of the wool. E 'in this period that was erected the Arengario, a symbol of political power.

The Dome

The origins of the Cathedral of Monza dating back to 595 when the queen Teodolinda, he built near his palace a basilica chiamataOraculum "dedicated to St. John the Baptist." Palatine Chapel "and then" Mother Church ", in the years 1300 to 1346 the basilica was rebuilt by the Visconti three aisles with a façade of the lower, banded and white marble nere.Trent'anni after the church was enlarged with side chapels and apse and to restore the proportions, the facade was raised and It completed it is today: one of the most important examples of the Campionese Trecento.Cosa see - The Iron Crown and the TesoroPiccolo gem of Lombard painting of the fifteenth century is the Chapel of Zavattari, left of the high altar, where they keep a cycle of forty-five frescoes with stories of Queen Teodolinda and the legendary Iron Crown. To visit the Basilica, the Museum of the Treasure of the Cathedral whose most valuable piece is the famous Iron Crown, gold, precious stones and enamels, used to crown kings and emperors, and which is exposed behind the high altar. Museum dug in under the cathedral houses the rich collection of relics of barbaric art from the fourth to the ninth century, the chalice of Gian Galeazzo Visconti, tapestries Millefleures and the collection of silverware Lombard centuries from the sixteenth to the nineteenth.

 


 

The city center

The Old Town In the historical center are other architectural Roman and medieval, as the remains of Ponte d'Arena from Roman times, of which you can still see one of the eight arches, replaced most modern Bridge of Lions. A city rich in history and beautiful places, Monza offers quiet corners and suggestive. Via Santa Margherita, near the church of San Maurizio you can still see the old door of the convent that housed the Nun of Monza, known character in the novel of Manzoni.


Villa Reale - Park

Commissioned by Empress Maria Theresa of Austria to his son Ferdinand, built between 1776 and 1780, just outside the medieval town, the Villa Royal has for years been the country residence of the Habsburgs. The plant of the Villa is characteristic of the Roman villa, with a central body and two wings that branch off at right angles. The east facade, preceded by stairs, is the most important and the main courtyard, which is located between the two arms of the building, is enclosed by a railing in golden spears, built after a popular uprising led insurgents to the gates of the Villa. Noteworthy are the hall of honor, the apartments of Umberto I and Margherita of Savoy, the Royal Chapel, the Court Theatre and the Rotonda, frescoed dall'Appiani in 1789 with episodes of the story of Cupid and Psyche.